Google
 
Web billyjoelinthenews.blogspot.com
alexarayjoelinthenews.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Billy Joel at MSG: Your Reviews

Billy Joel at MSG: Your Reviews
Newsday - Long Island,NY,USA
I'm 48 years old and I've always wanted to say thank you to Billy Joel. I don't ... today. Billy Joel belongs to Long Islanders. He is ...
See all stories on this topic

 Review from Tom Karlya of Medford:

I'm 48 years old and I've always wanted to say thank you to Billy Joel. I don't know that I'd ever get the chance to meet him to say it face-to-face. The closest I have ever really been to him was in the 200 section at
Madison Square Garden. Although there was that one time I accidentally cut him off while he was on his motorcycle on the Northern State Parkway when I was in my early twenties. I kept saying to myself, "I can't believe I almost killed Billy Joel." I'm sure it was him. But that was over 25 years ago and not the way I ever hoped to meet him. But that would be him, wouldn't it, on his bike? A regular guy, on a regular day, on regular Long Island. It is this appearance of being just one of us that I firmly believe, after 35 years, he continually appeals to us all and his concerts still sell out. He is older now, a bit heavier, has a little less hair. Me too. As I watched him a few weeks ago at the Garden (section 400 this time, I didn't even know the Garden had a section 400; so much for 'moving out'), I kept thinking that my life is a timeline based on Billy Joel songs. To his songs I did things I shouldn't have done, I did things I wanted to be doing and I re-do things in my memory still as I hear him today. Billy Joel belongs to Long Islanders. He is shared with the world but from the "green in Levittown" to the bay men on the east end, from paintings purchased at Sears to a New York state of mind, Billy has told our story. He was the guy in the denim shirt and leather jacket who made it big. He was the one from the neighborhood who kept his feet on the ground and touched the stars. He partied in the graces of the filthy rich and the whole time looking to us going 'wink-wink', I'm still one of you. He clearly is proud to be Long Island's most famous son. He lives here still. He's not perfect. He's not too proper. He's real. Me too. I probably will never get to meet Billy Joel face-to-face nor have a backstage pass. And having a beer with him will probably also never happen, although I would like to--I think we'd get along. But my wife and I are usually out there when he has a concert. Listening. Reflecting. And he continues up there on stage; up there still touching the stars. So thanks Billy for showing everyone that it's okay to be one of us. 'Wink-wink' back at 'cha Piano Man.

Our most heart-felt review came from a 12-year-old reader in
Yarm, England, who traveled all the way to New York to hear Billy Joel sing:

As a 12-year-old girl from a small town in northeast
England, my first time in New York City was to be memorable, not least because my Dad had managed to secure tickets to see Billy Joel on Feb 25th at Madison Square Garden. Now I may only be 12-years-old but I have endured my mam and dad playing the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, U2 and of course Billy Joel for as long as I can remember and over the years have become quite familiar with most of Billy's songs.

I sat in anticipation as the lights faded and the audience came to life. Sudenly a flash of light and there he was, blasting out 'The Angry Young Man' or maybe it should have been the angry old man (he looked older than I had imagined). Never the less, I'll remember my first sight of Billy Joel in much the same way as I'll remember my first sight of the
Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty...I got goose pimples, felt so excited and thought this is the place to be!

The show rocked and rolled from 'Allentown' to 'Saigon' to 'Zanzibar' along 'The River of Dreams' calling at 'The Great Wall of China' before coming to rest back home in 'New York' where we witnessed 'The Lights Go Out on Broadway'.

The 20,000 audience sang along with each song as if they were part of the show, encouraged by Billy at every opportunity. Dad, Mam, my brothers, sister and I joined in the fun as if it were a New Years Eve party. Indeed that's what it felt like, a warm gathering of old friends who were pleased to come to gether after time apart.

New York State of Mind left me feeling quite sad, we were returning home the next day after having the most fabulous time not only at the concert but in the fantastic city that is 'The Big Apple'. I took a bite and want more. The concet closed with 'Piano Man.' A sea of small lights swayed to and fro resembling a cloudless winter night where the stars fill the sky.

The brightest star of all had given all 20,000 fans a night to remember. A night that coverd thirty years of hits from the 'Piano Man'.

Billy: 'I Love You Just The Way You Are' and even after thirty years 'It's Still Rock n Roll to Me' and the night will stay with me 'For The Longest Time'.

Lots of love from a new 'Native New Yorker,' Sarah (Bunty) Jones
Yarm, England

PS: Thanks Billy, and thanks
New York City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

stats count