Google
 
Web billyjoelinthenews.blogspot.com
alexarayjoelinthenews.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Billy Joel: "Your questions, my answers"

Billy Joel is the first big name to have a blog on our website.

Hundreds of newspaper readers sent in questions for Billy before his Australian tour - questions they had always wanted to put to the Piano Man.

Over the weekend, Billy, on tour in Europe, reached for his laptop and answered as many as he could between engagements in Manchester and Ireland.

Readers wanted to know how songs had come about, whether Billy wrote the words or music first, why he never performs The Stranger at live shows and whether he still wears red socks.
===========

From: Julie S

Billy - what comes first when you write songs? The tune or the lyrics?


A- melody and rhythmic phrasing usually come first.

===========

From: Belinda Greenwood

In River of Dreams, you talk about searching for something - have you found it? And if so, what was it?


A-Yes, it was what I was singing about


===========


From: Coralee.

Hi Billy, I really enjoy your music and have done for a long time. It seems to show, even in your eyes, that you enjoy yourself and what you're doing. The question I would like to ask is "What is your favorite thing you do to relax away from all the hype and publicity?".Thanks again for all the great music. Stay well and keep safe.

Love Always
Coralee.

A-I enjoy boating and motorcycling as a way of being anonymous. Mostly I enjoy being with my wife and my pugs at home

===========

From: Joe Giuliani
hi Billy. could you please tell me your inspiration for innocent man. which i rate as top three bj songs also its a tough one to karaoke do you have any advice. regards joe. good luck with the up coming tour.

A-the music was inspired by the songs of Leiber and Stoller, which were recorded by Ben E. Fing and “The Drifters”. The words come from personal experience. Advice about singing it? Good luck - you’ll need to use ‘falsetto’

===========

From: Billy Bridge
As a singer/songwriter there are three writers who always inspire me. Your songs along with Paul McCartney's and Neil Finn's have always been my favourite tunes. You have such beautiful melodies and powerful lyrics.Always a woman, is one of my all time favourites.Is there a chance you would be able to have a writers session while in Melbourne. I would love the opportunity to hear you thoughts on writing up close.I will be at the November show, wouldn't miss it for the world.
Cheers Billy
http://www.billybridge.com

A-While I enjoy Q and A workshops regarding songwriting, I don’t think I’ll have much time while in Australia to do any.

===========

From: Karl D.C
Hi Billy,

How are things? Hope all is well.I've been to a number of your Australian concerts in the past (Storm Front, River of Dreams & Face to Face tours). What are you planning to perform for the Australian public this time around? One of my all-time favourite songs is "Angry Young Man". Can you please explain how this song came about?All the best for the upcoming tour.

Regards,Karl D.C.

A-I don’t yet know what our setlists will be. “Angry Young Man” is a combination of musical fragments and the lyrics are from personal experience.

===========

From: The McDonald Family
Hi Billy J

I first saw you in Portland,Oregon 1974 you were the warm-up act for Fleetwood Mac. WOW. I have lived in the land of OZ for 13yrs and wife and kids are Aussie. Could I ask you a favor even though we have never met? Two of my 4 kids are stuck in wheelchairs with cerebral palsy and my wife works her tail off. If we could just get away for 1 evening and maybe we could meet you for 1 minute it would be great for morale if you know what I mean. Anyway Thanks for all of the Beautiful music that makes the world have a sweeter sound.

Love,The McDonald Family


A-please contact the promoter's office with this request.

===========

From: Megan
Hi Billy, I have been a big fan since the seventies. I understand you now produce/create classical music. How do you find this different from pop and writing lyrics (I was always especially drawn to your lyrics).Will you be playing any of your classical music in Australia?

A-I always wrote music before lyrics, so writing thematic pieces isn’t that different for me. I won’t be performing any classical music on our Australian tour(except for some hidden Beethoven motifs)

===========

From: Cate
Can you tell us more than you've told us already; are there any updates on Brenda and Eddie?...Do you play 'Scenes from an Italian Restaurant' at your concerts? - I believe it's one of the greatest songs ever written and would love to see it performed live in Australia...Fingers crossed!


A-For an update on Brenda and Eddie-see the show “Movin’ Out” It continues the story of their lives. We usually include ‘Scenes from an Italian Restaurant’ in our setlists.


===========

From: Lloyd Poole
The song "Just The Way You Are" is my favourite song of all time. The drums on this track are strange or should I say quite different. How did you decide on using the drums this way?

A-The drum pattern on that recording was actually suggested by our producer at the time-Phil Ramone.

===========

From: Inga Binga
I really liked your classical album. Do you have any plans for some more?

A-I don’t have any recording plans at this time. I do plan to continue composing music until I kick off.

===========

From: Geoff Triplow
Dear Billy, I have been playing piano for many years but one song I love to play regularly is ‘just The Way You Are. It is a superb song with great chord progressions and melody. So simple but effective e.g mm –mm Am7 – D7. My question is – how did you write this song and how did you start it off. To me it is up there with some of the best songs ever crafted. I look forward to your reply.

A-I dreamt the melody and chord progression and wrote the lyrics over a few days after the dream reoccurred to me

===========

From: Glenn Leslie
Dear Billy

I have admired your work for a very long time. Two songs in particular are treasured favourites. One is Streetlife Serenader. What was it like working with Emory Gordy and Wilton Felder back in the mid 70's ? The other song is And So It Goes, from Storm Front, a very moving composition. Is this a song you sing very often? It sensitively addresses how people must sometimes feel. In your view, is it up there with your best achievements? Look forward to seeing you later in 2006. Regards, Glenn Leslie

A-Emory Gordy and Wilton Felder were inspiring musicians to work with. I perform “And So it Goes” now and then in concert. I have a great affection for that song.


===========

From: Glenn Drodge
Hey Billy.

Been a huge fan of yours since around 1977 and I think one of the best songs you've ever written was "The Starnger" i.e. the song, not the album. Just wondering what your opinion of that song is. Do you like it? Are you bored of it or does it drive you crazy like Uptown Girl and Just The Way You Are? You never play it live anymore and I was just wondering why. I think it's an amazing song! Glenn


A-I like the piano theme and I still like the lyrics, but song never played well in a live setting. I don’t know why

===========

From: Dave
I remember listening to a BBC Radio interview you did with your brother Alex many years ago. You were asked what your own favourite song was, and you said it was Laura. Which song that you have written is your all time favourite, and why?

A-I have a love/hate relationship with all the songs I have written. I can’t single out one above the others anymore.

===========

From: Dog
I love your music and look forward to your tour, but haven't caught up with any of your music of recent times.Do you plan to play new material during your concerts here, and if so what do you expect will be the percentage mix of old and new material?

A-What new material? My last album of new songs was released in 1993 “River of Dreams” I will be doing material from that album as well as all others


===========

From: Pam
Just hoping that Billy is going to sing "Summer Highland Falls" on his tour - and if not, please why not? This song speaks to so many people, and I would dearly love to hear it live once again.

A-I’ll keep it in mind-but I can’t possibly play every song requested


===========

From: Mark
With the likelihood of your shows selling out very quickly in Australia, can you offer fans extra shows to meet with demand? I for one would hate to miss out.


A-We have limited time to be in Australia. We’ll be in South Africa just before and in Japan right after

===========

From: Andrew
As well as your musical ability, your strong lyrics about personal experiences and feelings are obviously a great and important part of your songs. Is there a particular song over your career that you are most proud about lyrically, and if so, for what reason?

A-Right now I have the most pride in the lyrics to the songs on the ‘River of Dreams’ album. I feel I made the biggest stretch of my career writing the words on that album.

===========

From: Bill Muller
I saw your show in Southampton in England last week which was fantastic. I thought it was interesting you did some of the really early stuff even Zanzibar a lesser known song off 52nd street. Will all the songs you have to choose from, how do you decide which of 22 or 23 make it the play list?

A-It’s pure guesswork, experience, self-indulgence and luck

===========

From: Deano
Hi Billy! Love your music! Saw the musical, "Movin' Out" in San Francisco in 2004. Any plans to tour it in Australia? Was spectacular and would see it again. Thanks for coming Down Under again, can't wait to see you live!Dean

A-I hear there are plans to bring ‘Movin’ Out” down under soon

===========

From: JB
Hi Billy,I really love the song "We Didn't Start the Fire", and I sing along to it every time I hear it on the radio. However, I've always wondered what "the fire" is. Could you tell us please ?JB

A-‘The fire’ refers to the blazing mess the world is always in

===========

From: Amanda
Do you still wear red socks?

A-no

===========

From: Neil Andrews
Billy just wanted to ask you of the time you spent in boxing who were your heros and do you still follow the sport do you have a favorite boxer now

A-My hero was Sugar Ray Robinson. I no longer follow boxing

===========

From: James
Hey Billy,Thrilled that you're touring again. Can you tell us, which of Elton John's songs is your personal favorite?
A-“Goodbye Yellowbrick Road”

===========

From: Anthony Bergin
Hi Billy, Since "We didn't start the fire" was a huge world wide hit, would you ever consider re-releasing it based upon your reflection of what has happened in the last, say 20 years ?. I ask because a lot has happened for the good and bad since you penned the song.

Regards Anthony

A-Been there, done that…………It’s actually a capsulization of the ‘cold war’ years

===========

From: Andrew
With your songs such as Big Shot, Tell her about it, The longest time etc, did you write this from a broad experience perspective, or do you usually write them with a specific person in mind?

A-yes and yes

===========


From: Craig Wright
Hi Billy,

Very excited to hear you are coming to Australia! I have so many questions, but will limit them to two:- I recently read that you have a love of show music, and I was curious how the Movin' Out concept was pitched to you and your reaction to it? Did you have any creative input to the script or were there any ideas you had they ended up using in the end? Are you going to check out any venues in Australia to recommend to producers so that the tour production of Movin' Out comes further south than Japan?-

You have had a great rapport with so many artists, and in the recent past, Elton John. I've also noticed you have released an album based on your classical influences. Elton has previously done a tour and a live album with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. Would you consider something similar to compliment you?

Is a DVD of your Australian tour a possibility??Looking fwd to seeing you in November.Craig

A-yes

Take a break and check out some Videos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

stats count