Google
 
Web billyjoelinthenews.blogspot.com
alexarayjoelinthenews.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Drumming up ideas for camp

Drumming up ideas for camp
Houston Chronicle - United States
... His talent? How about playing drums for Billy Joel's band for 30 years? ... The kids may not know who Billy Joel is, but their parents certainly do. ...

WHEN I went to camp, my counselor was a high school senior whose main talent was teaching kids how to make a clay ashtray.

Camp Jam, starting next week at St. John's School on Westheimer, has a different breed of counselor.

Liberty DeVito, for example. His talent? How about playing drums for Billy Joel's band for 30 years?

"It's the greatest feeling in the world — to share my experience in a rock band with children and maybe help one or two fulfill their dream," DeVito said. "I have a passion for music. I like to share it.

"I've had kids tell me that they saw me on a Billy Joel video and that's when they decided they wanted to play the drums."

Camp Jam, quite simply, is camp for future rock stars. And the counselors have been there. The camp was created by former .38 Special guitarist Jeff Carlisi, who calls on his gold-record friends to teach children the fine art of rock 'n' roll.

The motto of Camp Jam: No Canoes — Lots of Rock.

There are four sessions: June 19-23, June 26-30, July 10-14 and July 17-21. Each session costs $499. You can register online at www.campjamusa .com.

Camp Jam is open to budding superstars ages 11-17. Camp hours are 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. each day.

"Ten or 20 years ago, you wouldn't have been able to do this," founder Carlisi said. "But parents today are way more accepting of the notion and even encouraging their kids to pursue rock music, either as a career or a lifelong hobby. At Camp Jam, kids learn more than how to rock out on their guitar or drums. They're developing essential life skills such as teamwork, communication and concentration.

"It's a powerful thing for them. The kids may not know who Billy Joel is, but their parents certainly do. I play with passion and power," DeVito said.

"Kids are floored when they see me. They can't believe how hard I hit the drums. They always ask if I break the drums, that's how hard I'm hitting them. I'm a real rock drummer. They look at me and say, 'I want to do that.' And I help them do that," DeVito said.

Does he break the drums?

"Nah, I know what I'm doing," he laughed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

stats count