Google
 
Web billyjoelinthenews.blogspot.com
alexarayjoelinthenews.blogspot.com

Friday, June 16, 2006

'Movin' Out' brings dancer home

Troy Edward Bowles grew up in Preston, Idaho, and wanted to be gymnast. Then in high school, he discovered dance.

Bowles took a dance class in Logan and then found himself at the University of Utah on a ballet scholarship from 1995-97. Soon after, he was a member of Derryl Yeager's Odyssey Dance Theatre.

So how did Bowles — called "Eddie" by his friends — wind up in the Billy Joel/Twila Tharp musical "Movin' Out"? "I auditioned," Bowles said with a laugh. "After I finished my dancing in Utah, I moved to New York three years ago and began working shows. The last show I was in was closing, and I was called in to audition for 'Movin' Out.'

"The producers had seen a videotape that I made earlier and were interested. I went in for my audition and landed the role of James. I was asked to join the tour for 10 weeks. I have six weeks left."

Bowles has liked the character of James ever since he first saw "Movin' Out" a couple of years ago. "He's the American idea of youth. He is the type of guy that will always look out for his friends and family. He's a good-natured guy.

"Interestingly enough, I was not a Billy Joel fan while growing up. But I am a fan now, after hearing the songs over and over again. I like the fact that each of his songs tell a little story."

"Movin' Out" began its Broadway run 2 1/2 years ago. The critically acclaimed Joel/Tharp collaboration is all music and dance, with no dialogue. The story is about the lives of five characters. Four of whom are culled from a few of Joel's songs.

There's Brenda and Eddie, from Joel's song "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"; James, from the song "James"; and Anthony, from the show's title track "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)." The fifth is Judy, the one character who is not from a Joel song. The story takes place during and after the Vietnam War.

"Since the show has been in production for some time," Bowles said, "Billy and Twila aren't as involved as they were in the beginning. I haven't met Billy yet. But I've auditioned for Twila before. But the dance coaches have worked with Billy and Twila, and they know what to look for when it comes to the dancing.

"The roles are created in a way that each actor can bring a little of their own interpretations to the characters. And it's very rewarding to be able to develop your own role in a production like this. There are other productions that I've been in where the director or producers are sticklers for a character they have in mind."

After "Movin' Out," Bowles will move on to another job he already has lined up. "I'll be in the production 'Pirate Queen,' which is a musical by the creators of 'Les Miz' and 'Miss Saigon.' So I'm looking forward to that.

"However, let me say that I'm pretty excited to be coming back to Salt Lake City. I have family and friends that are looking forward to seeing me dance. My grandparents, who are getting up there in age, have told me when I moved to New York that they probably wouldn't get a chance to see me dance. And now, since I'm coming back to Utah, they can."

Then Bowles said with a laugh, "I remember getting my ticket request list ready for the Salt Lake City run and the tour manager told me, 'You may be able to get a group discount.' "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

stats count